Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Greene on the New Princes

My friend sent me this article today by the very lucid Robert Greene writing on Machiavelli (as he often does for a living) in the 21st century. I had to add my own two cents. I highly suggest you read the article first, and then my opinions on it.
Necessity governs the world.
When you feel necessity biting at your heels, you are moved to respond in some way that is creative. It is either that or die.
I must constantly create challenges for myself, find some way of feeling limited and pressured, never resting on what I have done in the past.
Fortune rewards those who are bold; she is a woman.
When I enter a negotiating situation, I always make sure I feel that I can walk away from an offer.
Some want to rule, others to be ruled.
In Machiavelli's world, people are not victims. Those who suffer under some form of tyranny inevitably have gotten the kind of government they want or deserve. They are unconsciously implicated in the process. No one, in Machiavelli's universe is some passive actor who is acted upon and injured.
Greene elaborates on a principle in his first section that I find absolutely critical in gaining, maintaining and expanding personal success – never feel complacent. If no outward challenges exist then create new ones to maintain your drive. To use the metaphor of a businessman as a shark – if you stop moving forward you die, thus one must find reasons to keep going. The fact that this lucid comparison has such negative connotation in our present society – where children are encouraged to rest on their insignificant laurels, where everyone is “special”, where capitalism is equated to fascism by the ignorant masses, speaks volumes to its laggard nature.

Greene’s discourse on boldness is also poignant, though this negotiating strategy is not novel. In displaying the will to walk away from a deal, a job, a trade, etc. you flex power over whoever sits in front of you. Of course should you find yourself facing another strong-willed individual on the other side of the table he may find this display arrogant, or worse – imminently dangerous to his position and thus seek to undercut you. Having a superior of weaker will than you is thus often useful, so long as you can stay self-motivated.

So far as peasants preferring to be ruled, that’s a sure fact that I’ve observed in depth while growing up in Russia. If more Americans understood this they would be able to see how Putin can govern Russia with a diamond-studded iron fist and still have tremendous support of the people. Ironically, our current complacent culture in America feels that it cannot allow itself to be lead and is thus causing itself tremendous pain and distress – but unwilling to chastise itself
rather than its inept leaders and cause change the only way it can occur – through action and pragmatic self-betterment.

No comments: